- Edlie Masters, 83, died after Hurcomb Chemists gave him the wrong drug
- The grandfather-of-eight had ordered paracetamol for his sore foot
- But he was given Verapamil, a drug used to treat high blood pressure
- Died as a result of mix between drug and medication he took for kidneys
- Birmingham Coroners Court recorded a verdict of accidental death
A grandfather-of-eight died after a pharmacy gave him the wrong prescription, an inquest heard.
Edlie Masters, 83, from Birmingham, ordered paracetamol to numb pain caused by an ulcer on his feet but was given another patients’ prescription.
Assistant coroner Heidi Connor recorded a verdict of accidental death and asked Hurcomb Chemists to put policies in place to stop it happening again.
The grandfather-of-eight Edlie Masters, 83, died after being given the wrong prescription, an inquest heard
Mr Masters (pictured bottom right) pictured with his family who said they were ‘devastated’ by his death
The inquest at Birmingham Coroners Court heard Mr Masters died after taking Verapamil, a drug which is used to treat high blood pressure.
Pharmacist Matthew Hurcomb delivered the drugs to Mr Masters’ home after he placed a telephone order for the painkillers along with his prescription for a pre-existing kidney condition.
The usual delivery driver for Hurcomb Chemists took the prescription to Mr Masters’ home on August 13 but there was no answer so he returned to the pharmacy.
Later that night, Mr Hurcomb took the prescription to the house himself on his way home from work.
But he picked up the wrong prescription by mistake and instead of paracetamol, delivered Verapamil to the Birmingham grandfather.
Mr Masters then took the tablets without looking at the packaging, the inquest heard.
Mr Masters was given Verapamil, a drug which is used to treat high blood pressure, instead of paracetamol
When Mr Hurcomb realised his mistake he drove back to Mr Masters’ home in Winson Green, Birmingham and reassured him the drug would have no adverse effect.
But hours later Mr Masters woke up complaining of a shortness of breath and was rushed to Birmingham City Hospital.
When paramedics tried to find out what drugs Mr Masters had taken, the pharmacy had no idea because Mr Hurcomb had failed to log the mistake.
The grandfather-of-eight died of multiple organ failure five days later on August 18.
Birmingham Coroners Court heard the retired lorry driver died as a result of the ‘interaction’ between the Verapamil and medication he took for his kidney condition.
His family said they felt ‘let down’ by Hurcomb Chemists which hand-delivered the wrong drug to Mr Masters
Today, the family of Mr Masters said they felt ‘let down’ by the pharmacy.
His son Leon Masters said: ‘He (Matthew Hurcomb) basically took it upon himself to think “well I am a doctor, I will make a decision” which is where the government are saying pharmacies can make a decision to say what patients can and can’t have.
‘We are devastated by the loss of our father and grandfather in such tragic and avoidable circumstances.
‘Watching him deteriorate in hospital was horrendous and his death has and continues to have a tremendous impact on us as a family.’
Granddaughter Chantelle Masters added: ‘It was devastating when we found out what had happened.
‘It was just a basic procedure which should have been followed and it wasn’t.’
Phil Barnes, a lawyer from Shoosmiths Access Legal who is representing the family, said: ‘There is no excuse for failing to check that the correct medication is given to the right patient because doing so can result in a tragedy such as this.
‘Mr Masters’ death was avoidable and highlights the importance of following basic medical practices and procedures.’
His family said the death of Mr Masters ‘continues to have a tremendous impact on us as a family’
Coroner Heidi Connor recorded an accidental death verdict at Birmingham Coroners Court (pictured)
Dr Anthony Cox, a lecturer in Clinical Pharmacy at the University of Birmingham, said: ‘There are procedures within pharmacies when giving out medicines to patients or delivering them to check the name and address is correct and those are really important procedures.
‘However obviously occasionally there are errors with medication.
‘This particular type of mistake I would hope would not be too common. Pharmacists are taught early about the importance of getting the right drugs to the right patients at the right time.
‘It’s a procedure that is in place at all pharmacies. In this case it is extremely damaging to trust.
‘All professions are working together to try and reduce the rate of medication errors.
‘There are systems where we can try and learn and then feedback to practitioners to make sure that these types of errors never happen again.’
Mr Hurcomb has since referred himself to the General Pharmaceutical Council but refused to comment about the incident.
The comments below have not been moderated.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
Find out now
Source Article from http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2854140/Pensioner-died-bungling-pharmacist-gave-wrong-drug-went-house-reassure-realising-mistake.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490
Edlie Masters dead after bungling Birmingham pharmacist gave him wrong drug
pharmacist – Yahoo News Search Results
pharmacist – Yahoo News Search Results